NEHAWU Calls For Investigations Into FEDUSA General Secretary Role In PIC Corruption
Wednesday February 06, 2019
The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union [NEHAWU] calls for an immediate investigation into the allegations that the General Secretary of the Federation of Unions of South Africa [FEDUSA] benefitted from the Ayo technology Solutions deal that the Public Investment Corporation [PIC] financed.
It has emerged at the commission of inquiry into allegations of impropriety regarding the Public Investment Corporation PIC that Mr George is alleged to have scored nearly R1-million from the dubious Ayo deal. As NEHAWU, we view these allegations in a very serious light and they should be investigated with immediate effect. It would be a shame if those who preach to champion workers interest are found to be at the centre of looting workers hard earned pension funds.
The national union is extremely worried by the failures of governance that are exposed by both the commission of inquiry and the investigation instituted by the PIC. We still convinced that more skeletons are to emerge from the closet in relation to the improprieties that took place at the state asset manager company.
NEHAWU calls on the Minister of Finance to expedite the process of appointing a new PIC board so as to ensure that the work of the PIC is not compromised. Once again, we want to underscore our call for extensive vetting to be undertaken on the new board members to be appointed. In his consideration, the Minister of Finance must also ensure that at the helm of administration is an appropriate person whose background is biased to workers’ struggles.
As a matter of urgency, we urge Parliament to pass the PIC Amendment Bill as we believe that it will play an imperative role in ensuring that there is less acts of impropriety at the PIC. The bill will be instrumental in promoting transparency and provision for labour unions to have a say in the investment of workers' money through representatives at minimum of three in the board of the PIC.
Issued by NEHAWU Secretariat
Zola Saphetha (General Secretary) at 082 558 5968;
December Mavuso (Deputy General Secretary) at 082 558 5969;
Khaya Xaba (NEHAWU Media Liaison Officer) at 082 455 2500
or email: email@example.com Visit NEHAWU website: www.nehawu.org.za
- 09 February 2019: NEHAWU To Brief Media On State Of Readiness And Details Of The National Strike At Tvet And Cet Colleges Read More
- 08 February 2019: NEHAWU Supports Saus Calls For National Shut Down Of Universities Read More
- 08 February 2019: NEHAWU Response To The 2019 State Of The Nation Address Read More
- 07 February 2019: NEHAWU Supports Cosatu National Strike Against Job Losses Read More
- 07 February 2019: NEHAWU Currently Finalising Preparations For A Strike In All TVET Colleges Nationwide Read More
- 06 February 2019: NEHAWU Statement On The Violence At That Has Erupted At DUT And Other Institutions Of Higher Learning Read More
- 06 February 2019: NEHAWU Calls For Investigations Into FEDUSA General Secretary Role In PIC Corruption Read More
- 05 February 2019: NEHAWU Angered By Victimization And Intimidation Of Its Members By SANBS CEO And BoardRead More
- 01 February 2019: NEHAWU Welcomes Pic Investigation Into Allegations Of Impropriety By Board Members Read More